Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Blog Post #2: Close Reading - Rama S.P.

Using the psychoanalytical lens my evidence has to show how a character's psychological status affects their actions. The character that I am focusing on is Humbert Humbert. Humbert's character is interesting because he is attracted to "nymphets:" girls between the age of 9 and 14. He believes that these young girls have "enchanting qualities" that no others possess. Humbert leaves France and comes to America where he discoverers and falls in love with Lolita (Delores Haze), a nymphet.  This psychoanalytical lens can help us understand Humbert's actions and thoughts as he spends time in the Haze's house.

A prime example where we can read the text through a psychoanalytical lens is when Charlotte Haze gives Humbert the ultimatum: either marry her or leave. We see how Humbert responds to her demand:

"There may have been times--there must have been times, if I know my Humbert--when I had brought up for detached inspection the idea of marrying a mature widow (say, Charlotte Haze) with not one relative left in the wide gray world, merely in order to have my way with her child (Lo, Lola, Lolita)." .......Suddenly, gentlemen of the jury, I felt a Dostoevskian grin dawning (through the very grimace that twisted my lips) like a distant and terrible sun. I imagined (under conditions of new and perfect visibility) all the casual caresses her mother's husband would be able to lavish on his Lolita. I would hold her against me three times a day, every day. All my troubles would be expelled, I would be a healthy man. "To hold thee lightly on a gentle knee and print on thy soft cheek a parent's kiss . . ." Well-read Humbert!"(Nabokov- Chapter 17) 

Humbert's thought process shows Nabokov's viewpoint and thorough a  psychoanalytical lens we can see how we can interpret this passage. Nabokov emphasizes Humbert's Manipulation in certain phrases such as: "have my way," "Dostoevskian grin," and "Casual caresses." These phrases all have a devious connotation that leads the reader to think that Humbert has a ulterior motive. Humbert knows that once he marries Charlotte he can have Lolita for himself: "I would hold her against me three times a day, every day." 


This passage not only reveals that Humbert is manipulative, but also that this thought has crossed his mind more than once. This is shown when he says "There may have been times--there must have been times." Looking thorough the psychoanalytical lens we see that Humbert is conscious of what he is doing and he is determined to be with Lolita. He concocts a plan that would "expel" all his troubles so he can be a "healthy man." 


No comments:

Post a Comment