Thursday, April 30, 2015

Matthew Martinez Prompt#1

New Historicism: I chose this lens because I am fascinated by history! This lens interested me more than others because I wanted to explore the historical context of the book. My previous experience with this lens is very limited but I am excited to dive into the critical lens and explain the historical politics that were shaping the novel. I wanted to see specifically with The Scarlet Letter how the well-known Puritan society influenced the novel. Also the setting of the novel being taken in new-found America. This period in time is very interesting to me and I would like to know more about how this time influenced the novel. I am hoping to learn how the context of the time of this book influenced the society in the book, for example maybe in new-found America the laws were very conservative and mainly based on Religion so they tend to have harsh punishments for small crimes. I hope this book makes me reflect on the rich history it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment